High pile carpets or shag carpets are luxurious, soft, and warm. High pile carpets give you room a high-style and fabulous look. One minus point of high pile carpet is that it easily attracts and traps dust and dirt and allergens. This downside of high pile carpet can disappoint families with members who catch allergies or asthma.
You all know that you have to clean your high pile carpets frequently and thoroughly. Additionally, shag carpet requires a perfect vacuum cleaner that can be pushed across the carpet to clean it carefully. There are some best vacuum cleaners for high pile carpets available, and you can find them all in my comprehensive reviews.
- What Is High Pile Carpet?
- Why Need the Best Vacuum Cleaner for High Pile Carpet?
- Here Are The Best Vacuum Cleaners for High Pile Carpet:
- Vacuum Cleaners for High Pile Carpet Comparison Chart
- Top 10 Best Vacuum Cleaners for High Pile Carpet Reviews 2020
- 1. Soniclean Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 2. Hoover T-Series Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 3. Miele Complete C3 Vacuum Cleaner
- 4. Dyson Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 5. Shark IONFlex 2X DuoClean Cordless Vacuum
- 6. Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away Canister Vacuum
- 7. Shark Navigator Deluxe Vacuum Cleaner
- 8. Electrolux EL4335B Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- 9. Oreck Magnesium RS Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 10. Hoover Windtunnel Max Capacity Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- Tips for Cleaning Your High Pile Carpets
- Features to Consider Before Shopping the Best Vacuum Cleaner for Your High Pile Carpet?
- My Top Pick
What Is High Pile Carpet?
First of all, you need to understand what the carpet pile is. The pile here refers to the length of the fibers of your carpet. There are three pile lengths that you usually see: low, medium, and high.
- Low Pile Carpet: This type has a fiber length of about ¼ inch, and it has tight loops. Low pile carpet is usually placed on decks, in mudrooms, in dining rooms, …
- Medium Pile Carpet: This type is the most common type in the USA. Medium pile carpet stands between ¼ and ½ inch. Medium pile carpet is more difficult to clean than a low pile carpet. However, cleaning medium pile carpet is much easier than a high pile carpet.
- High Pile Carpet: This is the focus of my post, and it also has the longest fiber length. It can stand over ½ inch. With the long fiber, cleaning the high pile carpet is such a challenging task. Although a high pile carpet requires a particular cleaning appliance, it is the softest and most luxurious.
Why Need the Best Vacuum Cleaner for High Pile Carpet?
There are many reasons why you need the best vacuum cleaner for shag carpet. First and foremost, cleaning the high pile carpet is not simple at all. Dirt and dust can easily be trapped between the fiber, and they are hard to remove.
Secondly, most traditional vacuum cleaners cannot handle the high pile carpet. Other traditional models tend to stick to the fibers, or the air may not be adequately circulated. Additionally, the fiber of your high pile carpets can be pulled out if the suction of the vacuum cleaner is too powerful.
Thirdly, not all the vacuum cleaners are designed for high pile carpet. Choosing the wrong model can affect both the vacuum cleaner and the carpet. Therefore, you need to carefully seek out the best vacuum cleaner for your shag carpet to ensure its long lifespan and attractive look.
Here Are The Best Vacuum Cleaners for High Pile Carpet:
Are you puzzled about choosing the best vacuum cleaner for your shag carpet? Don’t worry! My recommended list will help you pick up the most suitable product for your specific need.
- Best Overall: Soniclean Upright Vacuum Cleaner
“Exceptional sonic cleaning technology, adjustable vent system, advanced jam protection, hygienically sealed HEPA filtration, easy to push and pull across the high pile carpet, superior cleaning performance, lightweight design.”
- Best Budget: Hoover Windtunnel Max Capacity Upright Vacuum Cleaner
“5 height adjustment, 12-feet extended reach, multi-cyclonic filtration system, reasonable price, versatile use, able to handle heavy-duty tasks, no loss of suction.”
- Best Adjustable: Hoover T-Series Upright Vacuum Cleaner
“WindTunnel technology, 5 height adjustment, 25-feet cord rewind that can retract for compact storage, suitable for thick and shaggy carpets, lightweight for easy carriage.”
- Best for Home Use: Miele Complete C3 Vacuum Cleaner
“Five-level carpet height adjustment, unique AirClean Sealed System, integrated accessories for versatile use, ideal for low, medium and high pile carpet, ensuring maximum filtration, outstanding performance.”
- Best Powerful: Dyson Upright Vacuum Cleaner
“Strong and powerful suction, deep cleaning across all surface, one-click dirt emptying, ball technology for effortless handling, HEPA filtration, self-adjusting cleaner head.”
- Best Cordless: Shark IONFlex 2X DuoClean Cordless Vacuum
“Compact free-standing storage, DuoClean technology, cord-free for convenient use, easy access to the hard-to-reach surfaces, lightweight, ideal capacity.”
- Best Lift-Away: Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away Canister Vacuum
“Anti-allergen complete seal technology, lift-away mode, motorized brush for vacuuming thick carpets, advanced swivel steering, automatic cord rewind, fast and easy to use.”
- Best Versatile: Electrolux EL4335B Canister Vacuum Cleaner
“3-level height adjustment, patented self-cleaning brush roll, versatile tools included, premium HEPA filter, adjustable suction power, compact and lightweight, easy to store.”
- Best Lightweight: Oreck Magnesium RS Upright Vacuum Cleaner
“Versatile and effective on any floor surface, auto-shutoff, slim swivel design, lightweight, 5-layer HEPA filter, full-powered upright vacuum cleaner, ideal for long, thick carpets and hard floors.”
Vacuum Cleaners for High Pile Carpet Comparison Chart
The following table is a brief summary of the 10 best vacuum cleaners for high pile carpet. Please cast through this table to find the best product for your shag carpet.
|Vacuum Cleaners for High Pile Carpet||Weight||Bagged/ Bagless||Cord Length||Dust Cup Capacity||Type|
|Soniclean Upright Vacuum Cleaner - Best Overall||10.5 pounds||Bagged||35 feet||1.31 gal||Upright|
|Hoover T-Series Upright Vacuum Cleaner - Best Adjustable||17 pounds||Bagless||25 feet||2.1 liters||Upright|
|Miele Complete C3 Vacuum Cleaner - Best for Home Use||20 pounds||Bagged||29 feet||1 gal||Canister|
|Dyson Upright Vacuum Cleaner - Best Powerful||17.35 pounds||Bagless||35 feet||0.55 gal||Upright|
|Shark IONFlex 2X DuoClean Cordless Vacuum - Best Cordless||8.7 pounds||Bagless||Cordless||0.3 quarts||Upright/ Cordless|
|Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away Canister Vacuum - Best Lift-Away||10.3 pounds||Bagless||23 feet||Not specified||Canister|
|Shark Navigator Deluxe Vacuum Cleaner||15 pounds||Bagless||25 feet||2.6 quarts||Upright|
|Electrolux EL4335B Canister Vacuum Cleaner - Best Versatile||11.6 pounds||Bagless||33 feet||1.4 quarts||Canister|
|Oreck Magnesium RS Upright Vacuum Cleaner - Best Lightweight||7.7 pounds||Bagless||30 feet||8 quarts||Upright|
|Hoover Windtunnel Max Capacity Upright Vacuum Cleaner - Best Budget||16.1 pounds||Bagless||25 feet||1.5 liters||Upright|
Top 10 Best Vacuum Cleaners for High Pile Carpet Reviews 2020
Let’s go in detail with this part! Remember to bear in mind some key features of the 10 best vacuum cleaners for high pile carpet before choosing. I also include the product specification to give you a full view of the 10 top-rated products.
1. Soniclean Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Cleaning your high pile carpet is too challenging. Don’t worry! The Soniclean upright vacuum cleaner features the sonic cleaning technology that vibrates at 200 times per second to dislodge embedded dirt in the carpet pile.
There are two cleaning modes: Quiet Mode and Deep Cleaning Mode. The Quiet Mode is perfect for vacuum hard floors and carpets. When you choose the Deep Cleaning mode, the sonic bar is activated to clean dirt and particulate in the carpet pile deeply.
With powerful and thoughtful design, this vacuum cleaner can handle all types of soft style carpets with pile lengths less than 1 inch. Moreover, this product has a lightweight design with the adjustable vent system for you to quickly push and pull the vacuum cleaner across your high pile carpet.
Other vacuum cleaners use the brush roll with an aggressive bristle that can damage the fiber of your shag carpet. Soniclean upright vacuum cleaner features the ultra-soft brush roll that can clean your carpet effectively without damaging the fiber. Thanks to the hospital-grade H13 HEPA filtration system, this product is ideal for allergy sufferers.
- Exceptional sonic cleaning technology
- Adjustable vent system
- Advanced jam protection
- Hygienically sealed HEPA filtration
- Two cleaning modes
- Perfect for all types of soft style carpets with pile lengths less than 1 inch
- Special soft bristle brush roll
- Easy to push and pull across the high pile carpet
- Superior cleaning performance
- Lightweight design
- Long power cord
- This product costs more than other models
|Cleaning width||14 inches|
|Cord Length||35 feet|
|Dust Cup Capacity||1.31 gal|
You want to know how Soniclean upright vacuum cleaner works, feel free to watch the following video:
2. Hoover T-Series Upright Vacuum Cleaner
The Hoover T-Series upright vacuum cleaner allows you to adjust between 5 different vacuum head heights. With this outstanding feature, this vacuum cleaner is perfect for cleaning any surface from thick and shaggy carpet to hardwood floors.
Hoover T-Series upright vacuum cleaner features the WindTunnel technology that can effectively remove surface debris and deep down embedded dirt. Thanks to the lightweight design, you can effortlessly carry the vacuum cleaner up and downstairs.
Not only can you vacuum your high pile carpet with the Hoover T-Series upright vacuum cleaner, but you can also carry other cleaning tasks with the attachments included. With an extension wand, a crevice tool, a turbo tool, and a dusting brush included, this vacuum cleaner can clean everything in your home.
- WindTunnel technology
- 5 height adjustment
- 25-feet cord rewind that can retract for compact storage
- Suitable for thick and shaggy carpets
- Including attachments for cleaning stairs and furniture
- System check indicator lets you know when to clean the HEPA filter
- Lightweight for easy carriage
- Less expensive than other products
- This product works rather noisy
- Emptying the canister seems quite challenging
|Cleaning width||12 inches|
|Cord Length||25 feet|
|Dust Cup Capacity||2.1 liters|
You will get a clear view of the Hoover T-Series upright vacuum cleaner after watching the video below:
3. Miele Complete C3 Vacuum Cleaner
(Best for Home Use)
With first-class quality and flawless performance, the Miele Complete C3 vacuum cleaner is perfect for home use. The five-level height adjustment makes the vacuum cleaner quickly adapt to all carpet heights. Therefore, you can use this device to vacuum both thick, soft carpet and smooth floorings.
Miele Complete C3 vacuum cleaner has a powerful motor, but it works quietly so that you don’t need to worry that your family members are annoyed when you work with this device. Miele Complete C3 vacuum cleaner has the unique AirClean Sealed System combined with a HEPA AirClean Filter to make sure that 99.9% of dirt and dust is filtered.
This device will help your room cleaner and brighter, and it is also an ideal choice for allergic suffers. Additionally, this product also comes with some accessories to help you clean other hard-to-reach surfaces.
- Five-level carpet height adjustment
- Unique AirClean Sealed System
- Integrated accessories for versatile use
- Powerful but quiet
- Ideal for low, medium and high pile carpet
- Ensuring maximum filtration
- Outstanding performance
- First-class quality
- Give your shag caper a longer life
- This product is more expensive than other models
|Cleaning width||23.23 inches|
|Cord Length||29 feet|
|Dust Cup Capacity||1 gal|
If you want to know how to use the Miele Complete C3 vacuum cleaner, you should watch the video right now!
4. Dyson Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Using the Dyson upright vacuum cleaner for your high pile carpet is a wise choice since the cleaner head drives into deep into the carpet fiber. Dyson upright vacuum cleaner can easily capture all the dust, animal hair, and ground-in dirt.
Dyson upright vacuum cleaner attracts many customers since it has more forceful suction than most vacuum cleaners. The powerful suction can capture more microscopic dust and deeply and effectively clean your carpet.
With the accessories included, you can also use this vacuum cleaner to remove hair from carpets, clean other hard-to-reach areas, clean your stairs, … Emptying the dirt is effortless with only one button.
- Strong and powerful suction
- Deep cleaning across all surface
- One-click dirt emptying
- Ball technology for effortless handling
- HEPA filtration
- Effectively capture all the dirt and dust
- Ideal for cleaning pet hair
- Perfect for handling tough task
- Self-adjusting cleaner head
- High price
- Strong suction makes it challenging for you to push the vacuum cleaner
|Cleaning width||12 inches|
|Cord Length||35 feet|
|Dust Cup Capacity||0.55 gal|
5. Shark IONFlex 2X DuoClean Cordless Vacuum
When you have the Shark IONFlex 2X vacuum cleaner on hand, you can enjoy both the benefit of DuoClean and the convenience of cord-free power. The DuoClean technology is the combination of the deep-cleaning bristle brush and an added soft brush roll.
This exceptional technology makes this vacuum cleaner the perfect choice for shag carpet, and it can flawlessly clean fine dust as well as small and large particles on your floors and carpets.
Storing this vacuum cleaner is a breeze since you can easily store it in the compact upright position. Additionally, you can bend the wand to reach all surfaces of your furniture. Shark IONFlex 2X vacuum cleaner can work great for both carpets and floors.
- Compact, free-standing storage
- DuoClean technology
- Cord-free for convenient use
- Perfect for shag carpet
- Hassle-free runtime
- Easy access to the hard-to-reach surfaces
- Ideal capacity
- This product is more suitable for an apartment than a house because the battery doesn’t last long
|Cleaning width||10.4 inches|
|Dust Cup Capacity||0.3 quarts|
|Filter||Pre-Motor Foam & Felt|
Are you curious about the performance of the Shark IONFlex 2X vacuum cleaner? The following video needs your consideration!
6. Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away Canister Vacuum
The Shark Rotator canister vacuum cleaner features the powerful suction and the motorized brush that can deeply clean your thick carpet and hard floor. Thanks to the Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology, this vacuum cleaner can trap over 99.9% of the dust.
The lift-away mode provides you with more convenience and the versatility of cleaning around the house. You can quickly move to clean bare floor surfaces after cleaning your high pile carpet, thanks to the fingertip controls.
Automatic cord rewind makes storing become more accessible than never. Lightweight design and lift-away function allow you to clean all the house quickly and easily. Another good news for you is that this product is ideal for vacuum shag carpets.
- Anti-allergen complete seal technology
- Lift-away mode
- Motorized brush for vacuuming thick carpets
- Convenient storage
- Work great on carpets, area rugs and bare floors
- Advanced swivel steering
- Automatic cord rewind
- Fast and easy to use
- The accessories come with this product don’t last long
|Cleaning width||14 inches|
|Cord Length||23 feet|
|Dust Cup Capacity||Not specified|
|Filter||Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology + HEPA|
Will the Shark Rotator canister vacuum cleaner work great? The following video will give you the answer:
Whether you need to clean a thin mat or a thick carpet, the Shark Navigator Deluxe vacuum cleaner can handle all. This product features the powerful suction that can clean up deeply everything that is under the rug.
Not only does this product come at a reasonable price, but it also features a sturdy construction and versatile use. This product provides two different modes that allow you to clean both carpet and hard floors.
This product also receives a lot of compliments for its large capacity. Thanks to the pet hair power brush included, this product can help you clean the pet hair out of your carpet, rug, mat,…
- Extra-large capacity
- Lightweight and maneuverable
- Ideal for high pile carpets and hard floors
- No loss of suction technology
- HEPA filter and Lift-away feature
- Useful accessories included
- Reasonable price
- Excellent performance
- This product is too heavy for cleaning upstairs
|Cleaning width||11.8 inches|
|Cord Length||25 feet|
|Dust Cup Capacity||2.6 quarts|
8. Electrolux EL4335B Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Electrolux canister vacuum cleaner features the 3-level height adjustment. Tha’s the reason why this product is ideal for all floor surfaces, from bare floors to high pile carpets. Additionally, adjustable suction power lets you clean delicate fabrics and curtains with ease.
Since this product is compact and lightweight, moving it from one room to another room doesn’t need much effort. With the HEPA filter, the Electrolux canister vacuum cleaner can capture about 99.97% of dust, allergens, and other irritants to provide you with a cleaner living atmosphere.
Thanks to the patented self-cleaning brush roll technology, you can quickly remove the tangles with a touch of a button. This product is not only designed for cleaning thick carpet, but you can also carry other tasks with the versatile accessories included.
- 3-level height adjustment
- Patented self-cleaning brush roll
- Versatile tools included
- Premium HEPA filter
- Compact and lightweight
- Easy to store
- 33-feet reach system
- Flawless performance on high pile carpet
- Adjustable suction power
- Effortless to empty the dust cup
- This vacuum cleaner is not as sturdy as other products
|Cleaning width||11.5 inches|
|Cord Length||33 feet|
|Dust Cup Capacity||1.4 quarts|
9. Oreck Magnesium RS Upright Vacuum Cleaner
The Oreck Magnesium RS upright vacuum cleaner weighs less than 8 pounds. This vacuum cleaner is one of the lightest vertical versions on the market. You can quickly move it upstairs, from one room to another room and so on.
With this product, there is no need for manual adjustment since Oreck Magnesium RS upright vacuum cleaner will automatically adjust to the highest carpet pile. This product is famous for effectively work on multi-surface, even you want to clean hard floors or shag carpet.
There are 5 layers of filtration to help you trap about 99.7% of allergens, mold spores, pollen, pet dander, dust, and smoke. Whether you want to clean downstairs or upstairs, you can maneuver around any obstacles effortlessly.
- Versatile and effective on any floor surface
- Slim swivel design
- Ideal for long, thick carpets and hard floors
- 5-layer HEPA filter
- Full-powered upright vacuum cleaner
- No manual adjustment needed
- 30-feet cord length
- Effortless to clean under furniture
- High price
- The performance seems to be downgraded over a long time using
|Cleaning width||10.5 inches|
|Cord Length||30 feet|
|Dust Cup Capacity||8 quarts|
Check out the Oreck Magnesium RS upright vacuum cleaner by watching the following video!
10. Hoover Windtunnel Max Capacity Upright Vacuum Cleaner
If you are in search of the best vacuum cleaner for your high pile carpet, you should go for the Hoover Windtunnel upright vacuum cleaner. This product has 5-level height adjustment, so it is a perfect choice for any floor type, including a high pile carpet.
Apart from cleaning soft and thick carpet, you can also use the extension wand to access high and hard-to-reach surfaces. Thanks to the Multi-cyclonic filtration system, this vacuum cleaner can quickly and effectively capture dirt, dust, and pet hair in your shag carpets or rug.
With the dust cup capacity of 1.5 liters, you can clean your high pile carpet longer before you need to empty. You only need to pay a little amount of your money to get everything you need for a heavy-duty cleaning task. Why don’t you give this product a try?
- 5 height adjustment
- 12-feet extended reach
- Multi-cyclonic filtration system
- Reasonable price
- Ideal for cleaning high pile carpets
- Versatile use
- Able to handle heavy-duty tasks
- No loss of suction
- 25-feet cord length
- Excellent capacity
- Emptying the canister after cleaning is quite challenging
|Cleaning width||13.5 inches|
|Cord Length||25 feet|
|Dust Cup Capacity||1.5 liters|
Tips for Cleaning Your High Pile Carpets
Apart from choosing the best vacuum cleaner for your shag carpets. There are some tips that you should keep in mind to keep your high pile carpets perfectly clean and longlasting.
#1: You should use the vacuum dusting or furniture attachment to reduce the stress of cleaning between the carpet rows.
#2: Using long hoses should be your priority because you won’t have to move the vacuum.
#3: It’s vital to pay attention to the carpet material. For wool and other natural material-based carpets, you should use the long bristle. For synthetic carpets, you should treat them with an antistatic agent first.
#4: If you place the high pile carpet in the high traffic areas in your house, you will undoubtedly need a fascinating vacuum cleaner to frequently remove the dirt and keep your carpet always looking new.
Features to Consider Before Shopping the Best Vacuum Cleaner for Your High Pile Carpet?
Choosing the best vacuum cleaner for your high pile carpet is not easy at all. You should consider some tips below for quickly reaching to the final decision.
As you know, dirt and dust are contained within the fibers of the high pile carpet. It is not easy to clean them up unless you have the correct filter. The vacuum cleaners that are equipped with a HEPA filter can capture smaller particles more effectively than other models. Choosing a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter will contribute to a better cleaning result.
Bagged or Bagless?
- Bagged: Owning a bagged vacuum cleaner makes cleaning less stressful. When the dust cup is full, you just need to remove the bag. There is no risk that contaminants can be emitted into the environment during emptying. Using this version is quick and convenient, and you can save time on trying to clean the dirty canister.
- Bagless: With this version, you don’t need to spend money on bags. Moreover, it is also a right choice for the environment since some vacuum bags can be disposable.
Types of Vacuum Cleaner for High Pile Carpet
There are three common types of vacuum cleaners for shag carpet: canister, upright and cordless.
Canister vacuums are ideally suited to rough floors or smaller carpeted spaces such as a vehicle or stairs. The canister vacuum cleaner is fancied for easy maneuverability, flexibility, and versatility. This type is perfect for multi-floor surfaces and furniture.
The upright vacuum cleaner is ideal for cleaning large carpeted areas of your house. Most upright vacuum cleaners have versatile use since they usually come with many useful accessories. Upright vacuum cleaners also feature height adjustment, so you can effectively clean both high pile carpet and hard floors
Cordless vacuum cleaner provides you the utmost convenience of quickly cleaning up the highest traffic areas in your house. SUing this type is also safer, and it can go to the hard-to-reach surface that other vacuums can’t.
Are Accessories Necessary?
You need to check whether you need the attachments to come with the vacuum cleaner or not. If your main point to buy for a vacuum cleaner is to clean your high pile carpet, you don’t need to buy for extra accessories.
In case you want to remove pet hair from your carpet, access to high spaces, or hard-to-reach surfaces, you will need the accessories to satisfy your demand.
It’s worth your time reading my quick answer to the common questions on the market. You are likely to find more useful information and can quickly come up with the product you fancy the most.
My Top Pick
In my view, I choose the Soniclean Upright Vacuum Cleaner to clean my high pile carpet. This vacuum cleaner features the sonic technology that helps me effectively clean and maintains my thick carpet. Moreover, it is easy to pull and push across the carpet for thorough cleaning.
Have you found the best vacuum cleaner for your shag carpet? Have you ever tried one of the 10 products above? Does it work great? Do you want to share anything? If Yes, feel free to leave me a comment! Thanks for reading, and have a nice day!